- Assessment of peripheral achromatic vision
- Complements testing of visual acuity, which measures central (foveal) vision
- Amsler grid testing useful in detecting lesions near fixation
- Confrontation visual field testing useful in detecting homonymous hemianopia, bitemporal hemianopia, altitudinal field defects. See patterns of visual field loss.
- Bowl perimetry with static stimuli most sensitive visual field test, but depends on patient attention
- Bowl perimetry with kinetic stimuli useful when bowl perimetry with static stimuli fails
- Bowl perimetry used to detect, localize, follow course of visual pathway lesions, but...
- Responses are SUBJECTIVE, therefore dependent on patient cooperation
- Objective tests of visual fields are under study but not yet clinically practical